LAST UPDATED: January 1, 2023
2. The Services and Third Parties.
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest (collectively “Social Media Pages”) Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including any information you disclose to such other organizations through or in connection with the App or our Social Media Pages.
The Services are operated in the United States and are not intended for use by residents of any country outside of the US. The Services and our collection, use and sharing of your information is governed solely by US law.
3. The Information We Collect.
We may collect the following information when you use or interact with any of the Services, when you apply for a job with us, and/or to establish, manage, terminate or otherwise administer the employment relationship:
- First and last name;
- Home or other mailing address;
- E-mail address and telephone (and/or mobile phone) number;
- Demographic information, such as date of birth and age;
- Characteristics of protected classifications under state or federal law, such as sex;
- Driver’s license or other identification number;
- Special status designations (e.g., teacher or military);
- Purchase history information, such as products you have bought, returned, or exchanged;
- Information concerning your mobile device (including, without limitation, device model, operating system version, device date and time, unique device identifiers, IP address, and/or mobile network information);
- Information concerning how you use our Websites and Apps, such as browser visits and information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other similar technologies;
- Certain financial information, such as debit/credit card information;
- Geo-location and in-store location information;
- Information concerning how you engage with our advertisements;
- Employment information, such as occupation, licenses, and job history;
- Information collected from background and criminal checks;
- Education information;
- Any other information you provide to us; and
- Inferences drawn about you from any of the other information described in this section.
4. How We Collect Information.
We and our service providers may collect information in a variety of ways, including when you:
- Make an online or in-store purchase;
- Return, exchange or request information about our products;
- Create an online account or sign up for e-mails or mobile text messages regarding special offers;
- Participate in a contest, promotion or sweepstakes;
- Opt in for geo-targeted savings alerts and/or use the Services to locate a store;
- Create a profile on, or interact with, our Careers website(s) or apply for a job;
- Provide us with comments or suggestions through the Services;
- Request customer service or otherwise contact us;
- Interact with us through our pages on any Social Media Platform; or
- Access the Services or otherwise enter information on our Websites or Apps or provide information directly to us or to one of our service providers.
We and our service providers may also collect information in a variety of other ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information may be collected via your browser or through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, IP address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, the name and version of the Services you are using, battery usage, battery charge and battery state.
- Through your use of our Apps: When you use our Apps, we and our service providers may track and collect usage data, such as the date and time the Apps on your device access our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the Apps based on your device number.
- Using cookies: Cookies are pieces of information stored directly on the computer that you are using. Cookies allow us to collect information such as browser type, time spent on the Services, pages visited, language preferences, and other anonymous traffic data.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Services to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
- By determining your physical location: We may collect the physical location of your device and/or other location attributes (such as fenceID, speed, altitude, accuracy, and bearing) by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or WiFi signals. Geolocation services can be turned off in the Location Services area of your mobile device. You can stop all collection of such information by the Apps by uninstalling them.
- By aggregating information: Aggregated information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Services (for example, we may aggregate personal information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code).
- From other sources: We may collect information about you from other sources to enhance our existing information.
5. How We Use Information.
We and our service providers may use your information:
- To communicate with you about your use of the Services.
- To create and maintain your account.
- To advise you of promotions, sales or other special opportunities.
- To serve personalized ads for our products or services.
- To complete and fulfill your purchase, for example, to process your payment, communicate with you regarding your purchase, and provide you with related customer service.
- To ensure that the Services are functioning properly and to improve their design and functionality.
- To facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, and to recognize your computer in order to assist your use of the Services.
- For our business purposes, such as audits, security, fraud monitoring and prevention, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- To track responses to our online advertisements and marketing emails and/or the effectiveness of marketing campaigns.
- To personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products, advertisements and offers tailored to you and/or to provide you with personalized location-based services and content.
- For recruiting and employment purposes, including to process your application, answer questions you submit and communicate with you concerning employment opportunities.
- For other lawful purposes consistent with your use of the Services.
6. The Personal Information of Children
Except if and where legally required, the Websites and Apps are not designed for or directed to children under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly collect online the personal information of children under the age of 16.
7. How We might Share Information.
We may share your information with or to:
- Our affiliates, selected product vendors, and trusted partners with whom we have a business relationship in order to address a product concern, or to notify you of special offers and promotions relating to such companies’ products available through pOpshelf;
- Service providers who help us provide a particular operation and its services (e.g., our in-store pick up offering). Examples of the services performed by these third-party service providers include:
- payment processing and authorization;
- fraud protection and credit risk reduction;
- order fulfillment;
- marketing, advertising and promotional services and material distribution; and
- background checks and other employment-related services.
- Third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions.
- Identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through or about the Services.
- A third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We also may use and share your information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to respond to subpoenas or other requests from courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies, and other public and government authorities; (c) to enforce our Terms; and (d) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
8. Interest-based Advertising.
We work with third-party advertising and marketing companies to provide you ads that are tailored to your individual interests. These companies may place or recognize a unique cookie, web beacon, pixel tag or other similar tracking technology on your browser.
If you would like more information about this practice, and/or to learn how to opt out of interest-based advertising by advertisers that are part of the National Advertising Initiative or that follow the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative website and the Digital Advertising Alliance website.
You can adjust your advertising preferences on mobile devices through your device settings. On iOS devices, select the option to “Turn on Limit Ad Tracking.” On Android devices, select the option to “Opt Out of Interest-Based Ads.” You can also download the AppChoices app at www.aboutads.info/appchoices.
9. How We Secure Information.
We and our third party service providers use reasonable technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect your information.
Although we work to protect your information, you should be aware that no technology is perfect and no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
10. Choices Regarding Your Information.
- Accounts: If you wish to review information you have provided in connection with your creation of an account with us, you can access your information at any time by clicking on the “My Account” link within your account.
- Email: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related e-mail from us, such as e-mails relating to offers or promotions, you can opt-out by selecting the unsubscribe link located within any such e-mail.
- Text Messages: If you would like to remove yourself from our text message service, reply “STOP” to an incoming message or send the word “STOP” to 38228.
- Promotions or Sweepstakes: If you wish to update information you have provided in connection with a promotion or sweepstakes, please consult the rules of that promotion or sweepstakes.
- Service Providers: If you need help accessing your information related to a service provided by one of our service providers, we will assist you by referring you to the third party. Please contact us for that information by submitting an e-mail request to email@example.com.
- Employment opportunities: If you wish to review information you provided in connection with an employment opportunity, you can log in here.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as applicable and as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt-out.
11. De-Identified Information.
If and where we maintain or use de-identified information, we will continue to maintain and use the de-identified information only in a de-identified fashion and will not attempt to re-identify the information.
13. Additional Information for Virginia Residents.
If you are a resident of Virginia, you or your authorized agent may make the following requests:
- Request to Know/Access: You may request to know whether we process your Personal information and to access such Personal Information, including to receive a portable copy of your Personal Information.
- Request to Delete: You may request that we delete your Personal Information.
- Request to Correct: You may request that we correct inaccuracies in your Personal Information. To make a Request to Know/Access, Delete, or Correct, you may submit the form here.
- Request to Opt-Out of Sale: You may request to opt out of any future “sale” of your Personal Information by (1) filling out the form available here and (2) sliding the “Targeting Cookies” toggle until it is gray in our Cookie Preferences tool here.
- Request to Opt-Out of Targeted Advertising: You may request to opt out of any future use of your Personal Information for targeted advertising by (1) filling out the form available here and (2) sliding the “Targeting Cookies” toggle until it is gray in our Cookie Preferences tool here.
- Request to Appeal: If we refuse to take action on your request, you may appeal our refusal within a reasonable period after you have received notice of the refusal. You may file an appeal by filling out the form available here. We may contact you to discuss your appeal. We will respond to your request to appeal consistent with applicable law.
We will verify and respond to your request consistent with applicable law, taking into account the type and sensitivity of the Personal Information subject to the request. When you make a Request to Know, Delete, Correct, or Appeal, you will be asked to provide your name, email address, and telephone number. All three must match our records. When you submit your request, you will receive an email prompting you to validate your email address, in order to verify your identity and protect against fraudulent requests. You must validate your email address, or we will not respond to your request.
14. Additional Information for California Residents.
Pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act (collectively, the “CCPA”), we provide the following additional details regarding the categories of Personal Information about California residents that we collect, use, and disclose.
This California section does not pertain to the Personal Information that we have collected about a California resident in the course of such person acting as a job applicant to, or an employee, director, officer, or contractor. You can read the CCPA Notice that pertains to the Personal Information that we have collected about California residents in the course of such persons acting as job applicants, employees, directors, officers, or contractors here.
Notice at Collection
Collection, Disclosure, Sale, and Sharing of Personal Information
|Categories of Personal Information||Disclosed to Which Categories of Third Parties for Operational Business Purposes||Sold to Which Categories of Third Parties||Shared with Which Categories of Third Parties for Cross-Context Behavioral Advertising|
|Identifiers, such as name, contact information, online identifiers and other government-issued ID numbers||Selected product vendors; service providers; third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and other promotions; business partners; our affiliates and parent companies||Advertising partners||Advertising partners|
|Personal information, as defined in the California customer records law, such as name, contact information and financial information||Selected product vendors; service providers; third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and other promotions; business partners; our affiliates and parent companies||Advertising partners||Advertising partners|
|Commercial information, such as transaction information, purchase history and financial details;||Selected product vendors; service providers; third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and other promotions; business partners; our affiliates and parent companies||Advertising partners||Advertising partners|
|Internet or network activity information, such as browsing history, online behavior, and interactions with our and other websites, applications and systems||Service providers; business partners; our affiliates and parent companies||Advertising partners||Advertising partners|
|Geolocation data, such as device location and IP location||Service providers; business partners; our affiliates and parent companies||Advertising partners||Advertising partners|
|Audio, electronic, visual and similar information, such as call recordings created in connection with our business activities||Service providers; business partners; our affiliates and parent companies||None||None|
|Inferences drawn from any of the Personal Information listed above to create a profile or summary about, for example, an individual’s preferences and characteristics||Service providers; third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and other promotions; our affiliates and parent companies business partners||Advertising partners||Advertising partners|
|Sensitive Personal Information. Personal Information that reveals an individual’s driver’s license, state identification card, or passport number; precise geolocation; racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, citizenship, immigration status, or union membership||Service providers; third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and other promotions; business partners; our affiliates and parent companies||Advertising partners||Advertising partners|
Purposes for the Collection, Use, Sale, and Sharing of Personal Information
We may use this Personal Information to operate, manage, and maintain our business; to provide our products and services; to administer prize promotions, offers and events; and to accomplish our business purposes and objectives, including, for example, using Personal Information to: develop, improve, repair, and maintain our products and services; personalize, advertise, and market our products, services and offers; advertise the products or services of other companies; conduct research, analytics, and data analysis; maintain our facilities and infrastructure; undertake quality and safety assurance measures; conduct risk and security control and monitoring; detect and prevent fraud; perform identity verification; perform accounting, audit, and other internal functions, such as internal investigations; comply with law, legal process, and internal policies; maintain records; and exercise and defend legal claims.
Purposes for the Collection, Use, Sale, and Sharing of Sensitive Personal Information
We may use Sensitive Personal Information for purposes of performing services for our business, providing goods or services as requested by you, ensuring security and integrity, short term transient use, providing targeted advertising and other marketing, order processing and fulfillment, providing customer service, verifying customer information, and processing payments.
We do not knowingly sell or “share” (for purposes of cross-context behavioral advertising as defined by the CCPA) the Personal Information, including the Sensitive Personal Information, of minors under 16 years of age.
You may make a Request to Opt Out of Sale and “Sharing” by (1) filling out the form available here and (2) sliding the “Targeting Cookies” toggle until it is gray in our Cookie Preferences tool here.
We retain Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was collected. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
- The length of time we provide services to you or have an ongoing relationship with you, and the length of time thereafter during which we may have a legitimate need to reference your Personal Information to address issues that may arise;
- Whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject, for example, certain laws require us to keep copies of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them; or
- Whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position, such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation, or regulatory investigations.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect this Personal Information:
- Directly from you or the devices you use to access the Services;
- From publicly available databases;
- From our service providers;
- From marketing companies that help us learn more about our customers;
- From companies that supplement our customer records with additional information;
- Through Social Media Platforms; and
- From joint marketing partners, when they share the information with us.
If you are a California resident, you may make the following requests:
- Request to Know: You may request that we disclose to you the following information:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you and the categories of sources from which we collected such Personal Information;
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling, or “sharing” Personal Information about you;
- The categories of Personal Information about you that we sold or “shared” and the categories of third parties to whom we sold or “shared” such Personal Information; and
- The categories of Personal Information about you that we otherwise disclosed, and the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed such Personal Information.
- Request to Delete: You may request that we delete Personal Information we collected from you.
- Request to Correct: You may request that we correct inaccuracies in your Personal Information.
- Request to Opt Out of Sale and/or “Sharing”: You may request to opt out of any future “sale” and/or any future “sharing” (for purposes of cross-context behavioral advertising as defined by the CCPA) of Personal Information about you.
- Request to Limit the Use of Sensitive Personal Information: You may request to limit our use and disclosure of your Sensitive Personal Information.
You have the right to be free from unlawful discrimination for exercising your rights under the CCPA.
How to Make Requests
If you are a California resident, you may make a Request to Know, Delete, or Correct by:
- Submitting the form available here;
- Contacting us by phone at 1-800-678-9258; or
- Following the directions on in-store signage.
We will verify and respond to your request consistent with applicable law, taking into account the type and sensitivity of the Personal Information subject to the request. When you make a Request to Know, Delete, or Correct, you will be asked to provide your name, email address, and telephone number. All three must match our’s records. When you submit your request, you will receive an email prompting you to validate your email address, in order to verify your identity and protect against fraudulent requests. You must validate your email address, or we will not respond to your request.
You may make a Request to Opt Out of Sale and “Sharing” and/or a Request to Limit the Use of Sensitive Personal Information by (1) filling out the form available here and (2) sliding the “Targeting Cookies” toggle until it is gray in our Cookie Preferences tool here. We also process opt-out preference signals via the Global Privacy Control. These signals set opt-out of sale and sharing preferences for the particular browser or device you are using. For information about how to use the Global Privacy Control, please visit https://globalprivacycontrol.org/.
Please note that when you make a Request to Opt Out of Sale and “Sharing” and/or a Request to Limit the Use of Sensitive Personal Information by setting your cookie preferences, your choice to opt out is effective only with regard to the device or browser you are currently using. If you later clear or disable cookies on that device or browser, you will also clear or disable our opt-out cookie, and you will need to opt out again so that your preference can be recognized on that particular device or browser.
If you are an authorized agent who would like to submit a Request to Know, Delete, or Correct on behalf of a California resident, please either contact us by phone at 1-800-678-9258 or select the option on the form here to indicate that you are submitting this request for “someone else.” To submit a Request to Opt Out of Sale and/or Sharing on behalf of a California resident, please follow the instructions above. As part of our verification process, we will contact you by email to request that you provide proof of your status as an authorized agent. in addition, we may require that the resident on whose behalf you are making the request verify their identity directly with us or confirm directly with us that they provided you permission to submit the request.
15. California Do Not Track Policy.
Some browsers have a “do not track” feature that may transmit "do not track" signals to the websites and other online services with which the browser communicates. At this time, we do not currently participate in any “Do Not Track” (DNT) systems that would allow us to respond to such browser “do not track” signals.
16. California Privacy Rights – Shine the Light.
If you are a California resident and have provided personal information to us, you have the right to request and receive information regarding the disclosure of certain categories of your personal information by us to our affiliates or third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Any such requests for information can be made by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing us at:
ATTN: Legal Department
100 Mission Ridge
17. California Privacy Rights – Rights for California Minors.
If you are a resident of California, under 18 and a registered user of our Services, you may ask us to remove content or information that you have posted to these Services by sending an email to email@example.com or writing us at:
ATTN: Legal Department
100 Mission Ridge
18. Nevada Privacy Rights.
If you are a resident of Nevada, you may request that a business not sell your personal information. This right may apply even if the business receiving your request is not currently selling your personal information. If you are a Nevada consumer and would like to exercise this request, please send an e-mail request to firstname.lastname@example.org. For your protection, we may need to verify your identity before acting on your request.
19. Sensitive Information.
We ask that you not send or otherwise disclose to us on or through the Services any sensitive personal information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, or criminal background) or any other information that may qualify as “Personally Identifiable Information” under applicable law.
20. Contacting Us.
ATTN: Legal Department
100 Mission Ridge
Depending on your email service and other related factors to how you send email, email is not an appropriate channel for communicating sensitive personal information, including, but not limited to, credit card or Social Security numbers to us. Please do not include any such sensitive information in your emails to us.